On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Chris Braun <braun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have experience in GIS and RS but am quite new in OSM so sorry for the
> newbie question.
> Basically I would like to know if and how one can know when a feature was
> mapped on the OSM map. Or rather what was the date of the imagery that was
> used to map a specific feature. Since the OSM map is used by rescue teams,
> I would find this information quite critical to assess whether a feature
> may still exist or not, but I don't understand how this can be learnt from
> the map. There does not seem to be a systematic tag for the date of the
> image, or an automatic way to associate to a feature the date of the
> imagery that was used to map it (or the most recent imagery that is still
> showing this feature), but maybe I am missing something. Or maybe this can
> be learnt from the "history" section?

I don't believe we capture imagery creation date in the OSM changeset. Bing
image tiles do contain a date (right click on the background image in JOSM)
but MapBox images last I checked do not. Since we don't capture that data
at best you can do is look at the date of the changeset and the Bing image
date.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle