Hi, Steve:

I would say myself that an experienced mapper is someone who is sure
s/he can do the task for which s/he is required to contribute. You can
be experienced in manual importing, or in mapping commons outside
villages for helicopter landing, etc. It depends. If you still feel in
doubt, you can do one task and ask for other experienced mappers
working in the same project to validate your data before proceeding
further with more tasks.

Hope I answered your question.

Cheers,

Rafael.