Hello Rupert,

The first thing to do in my opinion would be to add a proposed structure
for Zimbabwe to the wiki page for administrative boundaries at the
openstreetmap wiki:
- https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative

Another possible source that would give you some idea is "free the
postcode" http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Free_The_Postcode you might be
able to look at the blocks in a postal-code like way. When you tag the
block identification in a postal-code like way on individual addresses, you
can use standard GIS techniques like voronoy to regenerate the blocks from
the individual addresses and at the same time check for anomalies.
- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Free_The_Postcode
- http://my2iu.blogspot.nl/2012/02/february-2012-go-transit-zone-map.html
(explains using voronoi, to get a general idea)

So in my opinion, you have two choices;

- Generate blocks at an administrative level of your choice first and
automatically add block info to addresses

or

- Enter block information as tags to addresses and analyse and correct
afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Milo