Hi Ray,

If you are interested by artisanal mining sites in DRC, I'd suggest you
also check (if not yet) this great IPIS project displaying illegal taxation
and armed group presence on artisanal mining sites.
Last year 591 mines out of the 1088 they visited reported the presence of
at least one armed group, this can give some kind of scale. I'm guessing
they are now preparing the 2015 update.
Report:
http://ipisresearch.be/publication/analysis-interactive-map-artisanal-mining-areas-eastern-drc-may-2014-update/
Dynamic map: http://www.ipisresearch.be/mapping/webmapping/drcongo/

Unfortunately it doesn't contain (yet?) any info on now compliancy status.
That would be an interesting added value info to join and share.
If you get any news from USAID, please let us know.

That's sometimes difficult to understand why an official project factsheet
cannot include links towards the full report and data but maybe it isn't
even ready yet...
I'll be sharing your concern to some IPIS and USAID staff in DRC and will
let you know.

Best,

Claire

Claire Halleux