Hi, Joseph:

Thanks for the info. Just after sending this email to the HOT list, I
also sent an OSM message to Tim McWright (OSM user tmcw) to ask him for
information.

He told me to "go ahead", as "the tag isn't relevant to OpenStreetMap".
He said too that there is actually one page documenting this import,
that afected Tanzania, but also RDC, Sudan, Kenya, Burundi, and Rwanda [1].

So, I guess it's perfectly safe to delete this AUTO_ID=* tag. I will do
it in one simple changeset.

The reason I got interested in this tag is that mappers are finding it
over and over during the Tanzania JSI road import [2], and they are
keeping it because the general rule is to keep tags of already present
ways, unless they have a good reason to modify/delete them. Deleting
them at once will avoid this problem, and will make the data cleaner for
the country.

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1]