Hey all!
First off, its amazing for HOT to have supported the development of the
tasking manager which is turning out to be an invaluable tool to improve
OSM.

The data team at Mapbox have been investigating the large number of data
issues in Japan [1] and we have initiated a large scale data improvement
project to realign the major highway networks in the country. The tasking
manager has been the tool of choice to manage such a large effort and is a
good use case to develop the tool further.

Some of the challenges in remapping Japan is that it needs to be done in
phases and will require the creation of a large number of projects with
varying levels of difficulty and multilingual instructions[2]. We have
already hit a few early limitations in tracking the progress and have to
come up with solutions like creating a separate map[3] to track the overall
status of the projects.

A few tickets have already been filed in the tasking manager repo for
features that would be valuable to assist in the remapping, and Sanjay
Bhangar (who some of you might already know from the NYPL Digital Gazetteer
project) will be looking at working on these features.

It would be great to have more eyes on the tickets to fine tune the
improvements and make it useful for the larger community requirements. In
the meantime, you can find me (planemad) or Sanjay (batpad) hanging around
at #osm irc anytime, or track the cleanup progress in our mapping repo [4].

For open maps!

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/PlaneMad/diary/36058
[2] http://tasks.openstreetmap.in/project/57
[3] https://gist.github.com/planemad/64da69b20ea9705b5673