A quick diary post articulating a growing intuition, rather than a well-formed
concept. Maybe a useful provocation to start a discussion? :)

What is it that our volunteers get out of the act of mapping? Wikipedia has
direct utility to its contributors, while our maps tend to benefit others. Many
of our contributors are likely motivated by secondary benefits: it relates to
their personal or professional interests, it allows then to hear and tell
stories, to spend time supporting good social causes. In other words, it allows
them to forming and performing social identities — to express who they are,
what they believe in, and what they can achieve.

Most of our online platforms however are focused on work, not social
experiences.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/dekstop/diary/37438

m.