Yes its a training issue but has anyone thought of how big a training issue
it is?  There are existing videos, screenshots, people's personal notes
many trainers have their own customized notes and training manuals.  There
are translation costs, even if its only people time.  Then you get into the
relearning issues that some people consider a major turn off.  "I've
invested my time learning this stuff and suddenly its all been wasted."
How are you going to handle videos on you tube by people who have gone off
and done something else?  In some parts of the world they still use paper
for training manuals and may not have a printer or the money to reprint.
Getting the right information into the right hands at the right time is a
logistics problem.

Then you get into isolating all the iD users from the rest of OSM, HOT
users do get messages from OSM users when they need nudging and those users
do not know the iD terms for this, that and the other.  Some messages can
be quite abrupt by the way.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features are you going to change or
duplicate all these terms?

Most sane people think in terms of moving mappers to JOSM eventually.
Using different terms makes this more difficult.

Then we get into the acdemics who once a year bring out their notes for a
new class and as a method of introducing them to GIS systems do some HOT
mapping. Their notes will be incorrect.  We need the good will of these
academics.

When HOT was six people sat round a coffee table talking, this sort of
thing is minor.  The more people involved the more complex it gets and HOT
these days is very large.  The change is certainly not minor and has a very
big impact.

When you get to a certain size you need a formal review process before
making changes and I think HOT is now at that size.

Cheerio John