How about showing people how to map a building and square it right at the
beginning of mapping? It’s all one motion for me.

Just a suggestion!

Suzan

On Apr 13, 2016, at 7:05 PM, Clifford Snow <cliff...@snowandsnow.us> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 4:52 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0...@gmail.com> wrote:
Seeing 200 unsquared buildings by one mapper on a tile makes me think they
weren't using JOSM and the building-tool.  I could be wrong, the same mapper
also left behind three area=yes squares that just happened to be the same as a
building image.  Again it is perfectly possible to do this in JOSM to draw such
a shape and tag it area=yes, though why anyone with JOSM and the building_tool
plugin would do such a thing I can't imagine.

I'm asking a pragmatic question given that I'm seeing so many unsquared
buildings when validating is it essential they be squared?  and if so how do we
get squared buildings?

From my experience with hosting Missing Maps and HOT mapathons many of the
mappers are first time contributors. We try to get them mapping as quickly as
possible. After a period of time we introduce new techniques, such as squaring
buildings and copy paste. The behavior you observed may be the lack of
training. If its possible to find out if the mapper attended an event and if so
who organized it to give gentle constructive feedback to the host. (Hopefully
it wasn't one of ours)

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle