On 4/25/2016 6:09 AM, john whelan wrote:
I think with iD though you make changes in a web interface and those are stored on a central server(s). When you "save" then the server attempts to add them to the OSM database and says thank you even though it has not at that time had a message back from the OSM database saying the messages have been sucessfully added. Given enough people trying to save at the same time and the OSM database not accepting edits occasionally I suspect that the iD server isn't hanging onto the edits and retrying long enough given the number of requests it has to handle. Basically I suspect a timing issue so it could be the bandwidth between the server and the OSM database, running out of CPU cycles, or memory on the server, not enough disk space for the caches etc.

No, iD saves to the OSM API just like JOSM or any other editor, and the theory you're explaining isn't possible.

IRC is probably the best place to debug this issue, and it'll help if you provide the changeset ID where you saved. You can get this from the "View on OSM" link after saving.