Truly an incredible response -- made so strong by the relationships built over
years in Sri Lanka, facilitated by GFDRR
Mapbox's take: https://www.mapbox.com/blog/relationships-tools-response/
 -Mikel
* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

    On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 11:50 AM, Robert Banick <rban...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Hello everyone,
Greetings from Sri Lanka.
We are closing the HOT Sri Lanka Activation today. We are no longer receiving
requests for support from the Disaster Management Centre of Sri Lanka (DMC) and
the actual floodwaters have receded, meaning there is no more immediate crisis
to respond to.
This was a very successful activation. We’ve received many notes of
appreciation from our friends in the Sri Lankan government: I was thanked in
person today by the DMC’s Research and Technology Director and asked to work
with OSM data for assessing the strength of the DMC’s response. OSM data was
used to evaluate the impact of the floods and communicate it to other
government responders / the Sri Lankan press. I am working to secure the
release of some of the resulting maps so you all can see for yourselves. I also
expect that in the future HOT will be asked to support disaster responses in
Sri Lanka.
There’s a lot of thanks to go around for such a successful activation. My
co-leads Blake Girardot and Mikel Maron did a lot to make this activation work
smoothly, as did Russell Deffner, particularly in the early crazy stages of the
activation. The Mapbox team with Sajjad Anwar and Maning Sambale, the Kathmandu
Living Labs team with Megha Shrestha and a bunch of mapathons (most notably
Nimalika Fernando’s mapathon at SLIIT in Sri Lanka, *in the flood zone*) helped
immensely to get tasks mapped and validated in the early days. Finally thanks
to Mapbox and the US Dept. of State for providing us useful imagery during the
response. We couldn't have done this without them.
Most importantly, HOT volunteers from around the globe did what they did best,
mapping and validating a huge area at a really impressive pace. Thank you so
much to every one of you who contributed.
We may continue to post tasks related to future preparedness in and around the
flood zone as requested by the DMC. Because these will fall outside a disaster
event we will handle them outside an activation. Please contribute when you
can! The DMC has become quite a believer in OSM data and hopes to use it more
for preparedness purposes too.
Best,Robert