Hi Stefan,

I’m currently writing a paper on OpenStreetMap and its application in Ebola
epidemics so I’ve recently been reading literature in the area of crowdsourced
or volunteered geographic information (VGI), OpenStreetMap and disease mapping.

I would divide your question into two parts: (1). papers that access the
efficacy of VGI via OSM and (2). efforts to combat Ebola outbreaks using
disease mapping. To that end I provide the following list of resources.

(1). These papers that assess the accuracy of OpenStreetMap as a form of
crowdsourced (or VGI) data:

Ciepłuch, B., Jacob, R., Mooney, P., & Winstanley, A. (2010, July). Comparison
of the accuracy of OpenStreetMap for Ireland with Google Maps and Bing Maps. In
Proceedings of the Ninth International Symposium on Spatial Accuracy Assessment
in Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences 20-23rd July 2010 (p. 337).
University of Leicester.

Haklay, M., & Weber, P. (2008). Openstreetmap: User-generated street maps.
Pervasive Computing, IEEE, 7(4), 12-18.

Helbich, M., Amelunxen, C., Neis, P., & Zipf, A. (2012). Comparative spatial
analysis of positional accuracy of OpenStreetMap and proprietary geodata.
Proceedings of GI_Forum.

(2). And here are some others on Ebola outbreaks. In some cases these citations
will lead to others that are more generally about humanitarian aid. Note that
the Koch papers make reference to OSM specifically.

Casillas, A. M., Nyamathi, A. M., Sosa, A., Wilder, C. L., & Sands, H. (2003).
A current review of Ebola virus: pathogenesis, clinical presentation, and
diagnostic assessment. Biological research for nursing, 4(4), 268-275.

Dhillon, R. S., Srikrishna, D., & Sachs, J. (2014). Controlling Ebola: next
steps. The Lancet, 384(9952), 1409-1411.

Koch, T. (2015). Mapping Medical Disasters: Ebola Makes Old Lessons, New.
Disaster medicine and public health preparedness, 9(01), 66-73.

Koch, T. (2016). Ebola in West Africa: lessons we may have learned.
International journal of epidemiology, dyv324.

Tambo, E., Ugwu, E. C., & Ngogang, J. Y. (2014). Need of surveillance response
systems to combat Ebola outbreaks and other emerging infectious diseases in
African countries. Infectious diseases of poverty, 3(1), 1-8.

Zollman, L. (no date). "Ebola Missions with WHO." Retrieved from
http://www.giscorps.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=169&Itemid=63
on May 21, 2016.

Best,

Laura