From: Jen Ziemke <jen.zie...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:38 PM
Subject: [CrisisMappers] Save the date: ICCM in Manila - September
28-October 7, 2016
To: crisismapp...@googlegroups.com, Melissa Elliott <
melissa.elli...@blackboxcommunications.ca>, Tom Weinandy <
tomweina...@gmail.com>, Celina Agaton <celina.aga...@gmail.com>, Patrick
Meier <patr...@irevolutions.org>, Bill Myers <b...@toddbiss.com>

Dear Colleagues,

I'd like to warmly invite you to attend our one-of-a-kind conference set
for September 28-30, with numerous field visit opportunities scheduled for
October 1-7, in *Manila, Philippines*.

The International Conference of Crisis Mappers (ICCM) is now in its 7th
year. Since 2009, we have been at the leading edge for conversation and
innovation in the area of humanitarian technology. This year's theme, *Building
Resiliency: Inclusive Innovations in Crisis Mapping*, will highlight how
local populations prepare for shocks to infrastructure and systems, as well
as the role that NGO's, volunteers, and technical communities can play in
partnering with people from threatened areas.

We do hope you can join us. We are very excited to offer some of the same
components of the ICCM you have come to know and love from the past, while
incorporating new experiences given our new location in Manila. Get ready
next week to apply to deliver an Ignite Talk, schedule a Self-Organized
Session on a topic you most care about, present your work at the Tech &
Analysis Fair, & more. We are also thrilled to offer Excursions to Palawan
focused on Resiliency & Preparedness, among other opportunities to get out
into the local community.

We are grateful to *Map the Philippines*
<http://celinaagaton.com/map-the-philippines/>, our host for this year's
event. MapPH is an international initiative to provide current,
comprehensive, and accessible maps of the Philippines for economic and
tourist development, and disaster and community resilience.

Stay tuned for information next week on how to register for the 7th annual
ICCM, sign up to participate, & get ready to see your friends, old and new.

Fondly,
Jen, for Team ICCM.

*Concept Agenda*

Wed, Sept 28 – Evening Welcome Reception & Tech & Analysis Fair
Thurs, Sept 29 – Day 1 – Main Plenary
Fri, Sept 30 – Day 2 – Self-Organized Sessions
Sat, Oct 1 – Field Visit A in Manila
Sun, Oct 2 – Field Visit B in Manila.
Mon, Oct 3 – Fri, Oct 7 – Disaster Resiliency Excursion to Palawan

*Draft Agenda- Opening Plenary – September 29.*

*Comments Welcome!*

9a: Coffee, casual networking & registration
9.45a: Opening Remarks
10a: Ignite Session I
11a: Audience Engagement with Ignite Speakers & Panel Discussion
11.30a: Philippines in Context: Historical context to crisis & opportunity.
12p: Lunch
1.30p: Moderated Panel Discussion: Philippines in Context: Haiyan & Beyond
2.30p: 3 Keynotes
3.30p: Moderated Fireside Chat with Keynote Speakers & Interactive Q&A
4p: Break
4.45p: Donor Remarks
5p: Ignite Session II
6p: Audience Engagement with Ignite Speakers, followed by Panel Discussion
6.30p: Closing Remarks followed by Conference Reception & DIY Afterhours

*Field Visit: Project NOAH*
Project NOAH is the Department of Science and Technology's Nationwide
Operational Assessment of Hazards. The field visit will include a tour of
their facilities and disaster mapping labs, and participation in their
various hazard mapping initiatives. Project NOAH's Executive
Director, Alfredo M. F. A. Lagmay was awarded the 2015 Plinius Medal
<http://www.egu.eu/awards-medals/plinius/2015/alfredo-mahar-lagmay/> for
his outstanding interdisciplinary natural-hazard research and
natural-disaster engagement in the Philippines, particularly with respect
to volcanic hazards, earthquakes, typhoons, landslides, storm surges and
floods. NOAH’s mission is to undertake disaster science research and
development, advance the use of cutting edge technologies and recommend
innovative information services in government’s disaster prevention and
mitigation efforts. Though the use of science and technology and in
partnership with the academe and other stakeholders, the DOST through
Program NOAH is taking a multi-disciplinary approach in developing systems,
tools, and other technologies that could be operationalized by the
government to help prevent and mitigate disasters. NOAH’s immediate task is
to integrate current disaster science research and development projects and
initiate new efforts within the DOST to achieve this objective. Presently
there are nine(9) component projects under the NOAH program, namely:
Hydromet Sensors Development, DREAM-LIDAR 3D Mapping, Flood NET – Flood
Information Network, Strategic Communication Intervention, Disaster
Management using WebGIS, Enhancing Geohazard Mapping through LIDAR and
High-resolution Imagery, Doppler System Development, Landslide Sensors
Development, Storm Surge Inundation Mapping, Weather Information
Integration for System Enhancement (WISE).

*Palawan Field Visit Week of October 1.*
Join our Palawan island expedition *Tao Philippines
<http://taophilippines.com/sailing-tao-experience/>*. Palawan is a *UNESCO
Biosphere Reserve
<http://www.unesco.org/mabdb/br/brdir/directory/biores.asp?mode=all&code=PHI+02>*,
home to indigenous peoples, more than a hundred marine and terrestrial
threatened species, and located along the Typhoon Haiyan corridor.This
expedition combines stretches of pure sailing with time for exploring the
islands, reefs, and villages along the way. In partnership with Map the
Philippines' food security, environment, and climate change mapping
program, you'll learn about disaster and resilience programs in this unique
remote community. Stay tuned for booking details and learn more about the
trip @ *Tao Philippines
<http://taophilippines.com/sailing-tao-experience/>.*

--
CrisisMappers | The Humanitarian Technology Network
http://www.CrisisMappers.net

Visit CrisisMappers at:
http://groups.google.com/group/crisismappers?hl=en
---