Two words: Disaster Response

Although OSM will break down without its hard-won reputation for accuracy,
there is also the case for 'some data being better than no data'. It's the
old argument, I think, but for us this data is vital, however incomplete.
We work with aggregated data:

Building materials and standards are used to map: Cholera, Malaria,
Earthquake risk, general poverty levels, flood risk, vulnerability to
infection, TB outbreaks, population per building, whether structures are
temporary (refugee) permanent (hosting community), fire risk (spreading).
These are practical/technical elements not always at the forefront of the
digital mind.
When we plan a $10million intervention with only $3million, we need to know
the areas where there is most risk.

A simple look at OSM metrics of, say, thousands of grass rooves amongst tin
rooves in a fire, or hundreds of mud walls instead of concrete in an
immanent flood, really helps. At this point, this data directly impacts
and/or saves thousands of lives.

That's my obsession.

Best,

Rupert
*Rupert Allan*
Country Manager - Uganda
E-Mail: rupert.al...@hotosm.org
Uganda:+256777656999 (mtn) /+256792297795 (africell)
UK: +447970540647
Skype: Reuben Molotov

*HOT Uganda  *twitter <https://twitter.com/hotosm_uganda> | instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/hotosm_uganda/>

*Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team*
*Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development *

web <https://www.hotosm.org/> | twitter <https://twitter.com/hotosm> |
facebook <https://web.facebook.com/hotosm?_rdc=1&_rdr> | donate
<https://www.hotosm.org/donate>