Hey Jorieke,

What your question describes sounds like fleet management. I just found
https://www.traccar.org/ which looks pretty well maintained (88
contributors on github, latest code update only a few hours ago), is
open-source and seems to provide exactly what you're after, without
having to reinvent the wheel.

Hope this helps,

Laurent