Dear HOT Community,

Many thanks to the amazing mappers in Lebanon who had the entire downtown
Beirut area mapped; including the Port area where the recent explosion
occurred. And, for quickly mapping the aftermath dramatically captured in
imagery such as that donated by Planet and MAXAR (some can be viewed on
openaerialmap.org).

However, the greater Beirut metropolis is quite big and much remains
unmapped. In response to a request by the Lebanon Red Cross to map the area
up to about 8 kilometers from the epicenter of the explosion (damage has
been reported up to 24 kilometers out); we have created a project to map
the missing structures: https://tasks.hotosm.org/projects/9164 - as the
local community focuses on capturing Mapillary imagery in the field and
helping the more severely impacted central Beirut - please consider helping
map remotely the areas that too will need help in the coming days, weeks
and months.

Sorry beginner mappers, Beirut is quite densely populated and there are
lots of pockets of mapping by locals that we want to preserve, so this
project is restricted to intermediate and advanced mappers.

Join the conversation on Slack (slack.hotosm.org) #disaster-mapping channel.

Sincerely,
=Russ

--
Russell Deffner