John,

We haven't had a chance to look at Fedora Core 6 as of yet. I'll be looking over it closer to it's release and should have additional information. It appears FC6 will be released in a month or so, as such we'll be doing FC6 testing in the next few weeks.

Thanks for your support.

Aaron

John Summerfield wrote:
I've done some googling; the consensus is it's something wrong in the code. As I'm not a C programmer, the prospects of me fixing it are fairly remote.

I built it from a Fedora Core 6 test 2 source rpm, and I'm trying to run it on a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (WhiteBox to be specific) I've check.

I've checked the source rpm for patches; there are some, but as they're setting configuration info (eg port numbers, search path for CUPS), those don't seem relevant to the problem.

Here's a transcript showing what doesn't work:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ sudo hp-setup --printer=Copier -a

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.6.6a)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 2.1

Copyright (c) 2003-6 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: No devices found.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 03f0:3317 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ sudo hp-setup --printer=Copier -a 03f0:3317

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.6.6a)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 2.1

Copyright (c) 2003-6 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Unable to connect to HPLIP I/O (hpssd).
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/hplip restart
Stopping hpiod:                                            [  OK  ]
Stopping hpssd:                                            [FAILED]
Starting hpiod:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting hpssd:                                            [  OK  ]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/hplip restart
Stopping hpiod:                                            [  OK  ]
Stopping hpssd:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting hpiod:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting hpssd:                                            [  OK  ]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ sudo hp-setup --printer=Copier -a 03f0:3317

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.6.6a)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 2.1

Copyright (c) 2003-6 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: No devices found.
*** glibc detected *** corrupted double-linked list: 0x0899a510 ***
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/hplip restart
Stopping hpiod:                                            [  OK  ]
Stopping hpssd:                                            [FAILED]
Starting hpiod:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting hpssd:                                            [  OK  ]

I'm download the 1.6.7 source and try building it, using the Red Hat spec file (but not the patches).