What printer are you using?

Please run hp-check and post the output.

Thanks.

Gaurav Goyal wrote:

As has probably been reported previously, trying to scan in lineart mode over the network fails with a Device I/O error. We are currently using openSuse 10.1. The message in var/log/meessages is somewhat along the lines of "unknown image encoding sane_start: sop=4" We had recently moved 8-10 PCs in one of our workgroups. Unfortunately this issue is leading us to move back to Windows on some of our PCs since our need to produce small PDFs is absolutely crucial. It would be reflected as a major loss of face for me personally who had recommended deployment of Linux. We had found suitable alternatives for all applications used by us but our new hardware purchase let us down I hope this problem is fixed soon.