I downgraded HPLIP 1.7.1 to original 1.6.10-23 i586 from openSUSE DVD. All
works fine !!! So the problem is in the update, because dependecies are Ok.
Using CUPS 1.2.7-3 i586. The only mistake is the number of the ink cartrigde
shown in HP Device Manager (hp-devicemanager). From hp-info command I read
the status of the printer, showing variables named r*.agent*.kind / sku /
type. The variables starting with r4.* fit for my ink cart. numbers. How can
I tell the system to use them, instead of r0.* variables it is using now?
This question is not really important, because I allways go with the old
cart. to the shop :D

Another problem arise with gnome-cups-manager (ver. 0.32cvs20060120-71 i586)
I installed the printer through hp-setup 1.6.10 Afterwards I ran yast to
check if everyting was working right (it was!). And, finally I ran
gnome-cups-manager, as it is the front-end in the desktop for printing: the
printers (normal and fax) were there, but looking at properties made a stall
of 3-5 seconds and it was impossible to print the test page (although I had
already printed from Firefox and OpenOffice apps). I ran gnome-cups-manager
from the gnome terminal window, and I saw that when you click on properties
menu of the printer (any) the program starts looking over all ppd files
until it decides one ppd file to choose, and then stops (actually, it is not
the Officejet_6300.ppd file!!!!) then you can press the <Print test page>
button and it sends a job to the printer, but to the wrong port. My printer
is using port:1 (this is stated in the Test Page printed by Yast) and
g-c-manager send the job to port:0 (I can see this in the terminal window)
but with the hp-devicemanager on, I see the job is really sent to the
printer spool and marked as done!!! but nothing happens in the printer.
Fortunatelly, all applications I have tested print perfectly, and scan and
fax is also working. Something should not be properly linked, as g-c-manager
is not working properly.

Jose