Pehaps my interpretation is incorrect but the way the instructions
describe the FAX RECEIVE setup operation in the HP-5610, it seems that
FAX receive mode goes into operation only after several preset regular
telephone rings first and you have to know when a FAX is about to be
received so you can let the phone continue ringing until FAX responds.

It seems more logical to have FAX respond and stop ringing and start
copy after only 1 or 2 rings but if there is no FAX, let the phone
continue ringing for regular phone service.  If my thinking is
incorrect, could you please straighten it out?