Hello,

I would like to check on the spool file format for HP all-in-on PSC1110
printers used ny HPLIP. Is this compatible to Windows spool file format?

I downloaded and installed the latest HPLIP driver package, and
successfully got the printer to work locally, both on a box running SUSE
linux, and a Mac-mini running MAC OSX.

The HP PSC1110 is a low cost printer compatible to the Deskjet-3320
printer class using the LIDIL interface, connected via HPIJS.

However, my original intention was to share this printer with a
Windows-XP box on a home network.

When I connect the printer to the Windows host, printing via the smb
CUPS backend from Linux:

-  Connecting the printer via the SMB backend in CUPS can be configured
without problems.
-  Files printed from the linux box show up as spool files on the PC,
with same length and checksum as on the Linux box
-  The printer stalls immeadiately during printout, because of bad data.

A closer investigation reveals that the spool file generated e.g. from
the famous "escher.ps" test file is about 10MB long when printed from
Linux, however only about 500k long when printed from Windows.

I made sure that the spool file format is set to "raw" in the Windows
printer properties.

My question:  Does HP use different spool file formats for this class of
devices on Linux and Windows, making network connections for the PSC1110
between Windows, and Linux/MacOS etc impossible. Or is there a laps in
configuration that might have occured otherwise ?

Please share your experience with othe PSC printers.

Best regards

Detlef Clawin

BTW:  On Windows-XP, I found now suitable driver for printing to a linux
box, both in the CD distributed by HP with the printer not in their
latest driver update. The printer runs flawlessly for local printouts,
and in between 2 Windows PCs, when the driver is served by the Windows host.