Sounds like the black cartridge is empty.
Raghu

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of PjD
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 12:15 PM
To: hplip-help@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Hplip-help] HP 870c Prints Grphx But No Text - Kubuntu
7.04Issue[?]

Hi,
I recently updated my OS to Kubuntu 7.04 and for some reason my printer
will not print text. I used to run FC4 with cups and it worked fine with
graphics and text.

I've followed the troubleshooting section and updated to HPLIP 2.7.6 and
have the same results. I've also changed my bios printer setting to
"ECP". I've tried uninstalling HPLIP and using the print drivers that
came with kubuntu and again no text was printed.
If I run "print test page" the graphics print fine. However if I try to
print a text file from open-office, the printer will advance a sheet,
the head goes back & forth and then a blank page comes out[?!].
I've also tried different configurations, [e.g. raw printer & PCL3
generic] with no luck.

The 870c is an older printer, so I'm surprized that a newer OS would
have an issue like this[?].
Thanks for any input...
Pete