Hello,

On Aug 2 12:29 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote (shortened):
> If one wants to set the printer as default via the hp-toolbox tool
> one is prompted for a password. I guess this is the CUPS password,
> however the dialogue does not give any clue an what has to be
> set-up in order to make it work.

The dialog cannot know which kind of password actually is
required by the cupsd.

There is not only one way to do CUPS authentication.

The default is so called "basic" authentication using system
user names from /etc/passwd and system passwords from /etc/shadow.

But there is alternatively the so called "digest" authentication
which uses completely seperated and arbitrary CUPS user names
and CUPS passwords which are set up via "lppasswd".

As fas as I know a user application program cannot ask the
cupsd which kind of authentication is required for a particular
request and therefore the dialog cannot show a hint to the user
which kind of user name and password it likes to get.

> In my case it does not with
> the user's password so it might be useful to give a hint
> how to set-up the CUPS-password for a user.

There is even a more general problem with the CUPS authentication
in hp-toolbox:

The hp-toolbox authentication dialog prompts only for a
password but not for a user name.

But it should prompt for both user name and password
preferably with the user name input field preset to the
curretly logged in user.

When a IPP request is sent to the cupsd which requires whatever
kind of authentication, then it depends on which user name is used
during this one particular CUPS authentication.

The crucial point is that this can be a totally different
user name than the user who is currently logged in.
For example I can be logged in as normal user "jsmeix" and run:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> /usr/sbin/cupsenable -U root -h localhost queue
Password for root on localhost?

If I would try to use hp-toolbox to enable the queue, hp-toolbox
would not let me choose to do it because it thinks I don't know
the root password on my host (and only root is allowed to
enable queues on my host).

Any printing admin tool should take into account that the actual
IPP request can be done under a totally different user name and
password compared to the user who is logged in and who runs
the admin tool process,

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex