Thanks for your quick response.  The test page prints okay, but the ruler
markings do not correspond to the printed output.  Here are the measurements
as reported in the "Imageable Area" box (and the ruler markings) on my CUPS
test page:

Page Size: 8.0x10.38in
           203.2x263.5mm

Lower-Left: 0.25x0.5in
            6.4x12.7mm

Upper-Right: 8.25x10.88in
             209.6x276.2mm

Resolution: 600x600dpi
            23562x23562dpm

I measured the printed output (in millimeters, to get more precise values),
and here are those values:

Page Size: 203.5x262.9mm
Lower-Left: 6.0x8.1mm
Upper-Right: 209.5x271.0mm

For the record, I am running CUPS 1.3.3, so the test page says "Printed
Using CUPS v1.3.x".  Also, when I printed the CUPS test page previously
using the original PPD (without noticing the discrepancies), the values in
the "Imageable Area" box were the same as they are now (with the altered
PPD).  Does this mean CUPS is reading a PPD from a different location?  The
PPD I altered is the one in /etc/cups/ppd.  Based on what I've experienced
so far, it seems that Ghostscript is reading the altered PPD (by the fact
that "alignmargins" prints the altered values in "align.ps") buts CUPS is
not reading the same PPD.  This is just speculation, since I don't precisely
know the order of operations, so to speak.

Thanks a lot for your help,

-Patrick