You also need sox and picospeaker as my original email said.

Here's an example:

picospeaker -l en-GB -r 20 -o example.flac < file-of-text

or:

picospeaker -l en-GB -r 20 -o string.flac "this is a string"

Audio file types can be any supported by sox.

Type an incorrect language value to see valid values, for example just 'en'.

You can leave out the rate (-r) switch and leaving out the output file
switch (-o) will just speak.

On 02/12/2014 09:35, Fifty OneFifty wrote:
> Mike Ray,
>
> I have svox-pico install, can you provide a quick example of how
> convert a text file to audio from the Linux command line?
>
> 5150

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

"Longum iter est per praecepta, breve et efficax per exempla"
(It's a long way by the rules, but short and efficient with examples)

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/