> (top posting for Mike, and the secret pleasure of messing with Dave's
> parsing tool )
>
> Is this what you mean ?
>
> hpr1169 :: Autotools
> http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1169
> Hosted by Nido Media on 2013-01-24 and released under a CC-BY-SA license.
> ogg: http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr1169.ogg

Brilliant!

For ages I have been periodically trying to untangle this plate of
spaghetti known as autoconf, automake or whatever the whole suite is called.

This show has made it possible to drill this down to a shot summary:

1. Run autoscan to generate configure.scan
2. Edit configure.scan to tweak it and add stuff.
3. Rename configure.scan to configure.ac.
4. Write Makefile.am
5. Run autoconf to make the configure script.
6. Do the usual ./configure, make, make install etc.

Much clearer than trying to follow the textual attempts at flow-diagrams
in a lot of tutorials, which, while they are more accessible than
graphics of course, they get me trying to count what column my cursor is
in when I've copied and pasted them to a text file from a web page.

There is more complexity when it is a library one is creating rather
than an executable but I should be able to get there from here.

The Gnu manuals, while they are fully descriptive, are written by the
folks who have been developing this stuff since RMS was in short
trousers and are difficult to follow and definitely not concise.

Mike

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer

Don't judge my disability until you witness my ability

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/