On 12/10/2017 03:37 PM, Joshua Knapp wrote:
> A separate channel might not be a bad idea, that way those that want to
> just chat don't feel obligated to have to play.
>
> ----Long detour --
>
> The site would still be hosted with ANHH, but moving the downloads would
> help with the strain that seems to be caused by some people trying to
> download the entire archive all at the same time ( may be a little
> exaggerated, but you get the idea ) .
>
> Kicking in a few bucks would actually help with bandwidth costs on this
> end too, and would relieve some of the strain caused by some
> people trying to download the entire archive all at the same time. ( see
> what I did there? )
>
> It would also make it easier to cover other costs of stuff I'd like to
> with HPR's server.
>
> The sponsorship my company has done over the years hasn't really yielded
> a lot in the terms of ROI, but we keep doing it because honestly, I like
> the concept of HPR and want to continue supporting it.
>
> That being said occasionally we get stuff like people thinking it's cool
> to try and hack the site, DDOS the site, or inadvertently consume all
> the bandwidth for the server allowed by downloading multiple (10s of)
> streams at once.  All these cause issues unfortunately, some bigger
> issues than others.
>
> So, not trying to sound greedy, but if people are looking to kick in a
> few bucks, getting hosting plan with HPR's coupon or just kicking a few
> bucks in with paypal (I could make a page people could donate for HPR
> directly) would be a great help.
>
> On Dec 9, 2017 5:36 PM, "Fifty OneFifty"
> <fiftyonefi...@linuxbasement.com
> <mailto:fiftyonefi...@linuxbasement.com>> wrote:
>
>     If we do run it in another room, we should record both.  Also, if we
>     are shifting our hosting to Archive.org, it wouldn't hurt if we each
>     threw some bucks their way.
>
>     5150

Josh,

I think you should put up a link somewhere so people can donate if they
would like to do so. There are differences between not asking for money
and quietly providing an avenue for people to throw money at you because
they want to.

I don't exactly practise what I preach, but at least in theory I think
it's a good idea to have some avenue for people to support you. It might
not make much of a difference, but even if all I can do is buy you a cup
of coffee to make that late night debugging session a little less
unpleasant, I'd like to be able do that much.

-klaatu