Hey Saurav,

> My name is Saurav Sachidanand and I wish to participate in GSoC 2018.
> I'm intrigued with the Histogram Performance Counter project. I've
> previously worked with HdrHistorgram [1], which is a histogram
> implementation that can record integer and float values with high range
> and precission, with fixed space and time costs. Implementations in
> several languages exist, but not in C++. The reference Java version [2]
> provides several more features, including a concurrent version of the
> histogram. Would implementing a generic C++ concurrent HdrHistgram
> perforamance counter, supporting all features from the Java version and
> utilizing HPX's APIs, be a useful addition?
>
> This idea came to mind beacuse I participated in GSoC last year [3], where
> I built a Performance Co-Pilot instrumentation library in Rust, and I had
> to integrate HdrHistogram into the API [4].
>
> Any guidance and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I don't know anything about the HdrHistgram you're referring to. Would you care
to elaborate?

We have a histogram implementation in HPX
(https://github.com/STEllAR-GROUP/hpx/blob/master/hpx/util/histogram.hpp) which
is currently used for a special performance counter in the parcel (message)
coalescing layer. But this does not have to be used for a general purpose
counter.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu