On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 8:27 AM yongkee kwon <yongkee.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hartmut and Thomas,
>
> Thank you for the references. I will take a look at the benchmarks and the
> publications. Hartmut's talks at CppCon brought me to HPX and I'm just done
> with watching HPX tutorials in CSCS by Thomas and John. I do also thank you
> for great lectures and tutorials about HPX.

Thanks!

> While I will be trying to learn more from the benchmarks and publications,
> let me ask a bit more specific questions. First of all, is a coroutine
> implemented in HPX is just about same as C++ coroutine discussed in TS, which
> is stackless and relies solely on a compiler for transformations and
> optimizations, or is there anything more in HPX than that?

They are more or less two different concepts. The C++ coroutine TS
deals with language and library extensions to allow for zero-cost
abstractions to write coroutines. By itself, the couroutine TS is
useless and specifies the basic concepts needed. This has been
explored by a number of people now. mostly focusing on asynchronous
I/O and related topics, not necessarily parallelism. See for example
here: https://github.com/lewissbaker/cppcoro or here:
http://ericniebler.com/2017/08/17/ranges-coroutines-and-react-early-musings-on-the-future-of-async-in-c/

> Also, could any of you point out if there is any example with coroutines and
> active messages? I found a few with await but unfortunately fibonacci_await
> failed, as commented in CMakeList, with an exception( what(): abandoning not
> ready shared state: HPX(broken_promise) ). I also found transpose_await but
> haven't had a chance to run it.

The await examples probably need some work to be adapted to the latest
state of the TS. We haven't updated it in a long time ... PRs are
welcome!

>  More examples are always better so please let me know if there is any more
> example for coroutines and active message.

The nice thing about our abstractions build around hpx::future, is
that they work the same, regardless if you have local work or invoke
work remotely (through actions that is, which some refer to as active
messages).

I think there are lots of things which need to improved and worked on,
depending on our actual research goal.
Nevertheless, I think HPX is unique in offering a unified view (in
terms of syntax and semantics) to shared memory and distributed memory
parallelization which is hard to find in any other solution. So even
if there are initial hiccups, I'd like to invite you to work with us
to make your experience and HPX in general better.