I just moved my htdig stuff to another filesystem and a few of my digs
didn't work.  they all gave me this same basic error message, this one in
particular from my libdig script:

htmerge: Unable to open word list file
'/usr/local/htdig/db/lib/db.wordlist'

DB2 problem...: /usr/local/htdig/db/db.docdb: No such file or directory

and it wouldnt create the db.wordlist and db.docdb files

this was with database_dir defined as /usr/local/htdig/db/lib

i then ran the rundig script basically unmodified from what came in the
distribution and it put the db files in /usr/local/htdig/db

when i ran the userdig script again, it worked this time-and it seems to
put the db.wordlist and db.docdb in the correct directory.

my question is this:  why would the userdig script look for a docdb in a
directory that i never gave it, and then put the real one in the correct
directory.

second question:

I've got htdig searching my user directories.  Is there some way that i
can only search the user directories?

thanks,
Seth