We have a site with about 170 servers. Whenever I run a initial update
there are always about 10 servers not running.  Would running an
update run say a day later  pick up the missing servers which have
come up in the meantime,  and leave the pages in the index  of the servers
which
have gone down in the meantime?

None of the pages which referenced the missing servers will
necessarily have been updated so, does the update run look for
the " no server running"   situations?

regards
Sinclair