And then Geoff Hutchinson said:

> This is a good point.

Which, of course, it is.  However, under some circumstances I can see
where remembering a downed server may not be ideal.  For example, you have
a link to a URL on a server, and the server is down for only a very short
period, or a network hiccup, or something very minor inhibited retrieval
of robots.txt on the server.   Then a little further in the dig a URL to
the same server is encountered, and the server is now back up (not an
unlikely scenario when you index across hundreds of servers, as many
of us do).  Hitting it again could be benificial.

Trade-off question, I guess. (Just thinking out loud here.)

-bd