At 10:08 AM -0300 9/29/99, Daniel MacKay wrote:
> - On successive, non -i htdigs, is every page downloaded and indexed again?
>   Or just the new ones or changed ones?

Just new and changed ones. It must make a request for every page, but
it tries hard to avoid downloading and indexing documents again.

> - Does htdig destroy the existing database while it's running?  That is,
>   can htsearch be used on the existing database while htdig is running?
> - Same question for htmerge.

For versions 3.1.x and before, do *not* try to run htsearch on the
same databases that are being updated with htdig and htmerge. You
will not get consistent results and you're likely to get nothing back
from your search results. For "live" databases, you should use the -a
option to update .work databases and then move them into place when
you're done.

The 3.2 tree *should* allow updating live databases, but we have not
made any sort of effort to confirm the reliability of it.

-Geoff Hutchison
Williams Students Online
http://wso.williams.edu/