Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> >values for compression_level and what compression can be estimated?
>
> compression_level is a parameter to the zlib compression library.
> Like gzip, it expects values from 0 (no compression) to 9 (work hard
> to compress).
>
> One thing to note about using 8 or 9 is that it doesn't always
> compress more than something like 6. The higher values will form more
> complex compression rules, but often the space required to store the
> rules will offset the compression gains. :-(
>
> In your case, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of compression. A 7MB
> database quite frankly is at the small end and there isn't much to
> work with.

In addition to that, AFAIK only the document content is compressed,
not the entire database.  So if only the document headers are indexed,
compression will gain nothing at all.  On the other hand, if you have
pages ~30K of text size and do a complete index, the size of db.docdb
will be reduced significantly; but only db.docdb - nothing else.

I think it is misunderstood quite often, that ht://Dig's compression
will work on all portions of the search database (soundex, metaphone,
word indices etc). This is not the case.

cheers,
  Torsten

E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]            Internet: http://www.inwise.de