>I'm trying to set up htdig so that a user can search for state
>abbreviations.  Every time I search for a state abbreviation like "NE"
>it returns "No matches".  But I can search for anything else like the
>word "Cobol" and it returns results.  If I search for "Cobol NE" I will
>get results showing were it found "NE" & "Cobol".

Sure. You don't mention setting minimum_word_length, so I'll assume
it's the default: 3. This means the abbreviation won't be indexed (or
considered for a search). It won't be considered in the second search
either.

So why is it highlighted in the excerpt? The hilighting is done for
any words the user entered, whether or not they were ignored (this
goes for the bad_words_file too).

-Geoff Hutchison
Williams Students Online
http://wso.williams.edu/