I need to--from a Perl Script--send out exactly the same byte stream which a
browser would send.  Intent being to invoke execution of a cgi script on the
server, and cause the output to be returned to the invoking Perl script.

It "has to" be similar to the to the following code, which I am currently
using to invoke htsearch from within a perl script.  (with a fairly minor
variation in the value of $callstr).

If anyone has an idea (or a working example), please advise.
(Most of my testing, to date, returns "nothing" from the open/read
combination, without any Perl error indication).

$callste="format=$format&matchesperpage=$matchesperpage&words=$words";
print DNERR $callste    ;
$callstr = "./htsearch.cgi" . "|";
$ENV{REQUEST_METHOD}="GET";
$ENV{QUERY_STRING}= $callste;