I'm after the dummies guide to restricting searchs?

I have a number of email lists that I archive and make available on the
WWW with mhonarc.

I'm currently using htdig to allow searching of one list, but that is
invoked by
http://www.woa.com.au/cgi-bin/htsearch as supplied.

I would like to expand the searching to a number of lists from one
database, but obviously some one chasing genealogical info doesn't want
linux stuff, etc

I understand from my reading that I can restrict the search to returning
only results from one list. i.e. http://www.woa.com.au/lists/list-name
by using exclude and restrict parameters when htsearc is called.

My problem is that I don't understand HOW to go about this?
Can anyone point me to some further info/how-to/etc?

   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  www: http://www.woa.com.au