According to Foskett Roger:
> Hi, I am having imense problems getting htdig 3.1.5 to build on HPUX-11.
>
> Ive tried this:
>
> CC='cc' \
> ./configure \
>     --prefix=/opt/www/htdig \
>     --host=POSIX.2
>
> with these compilers (tried them all in various combinations)
>     CC='gcc'  or CC='cc'
>     CPP='g++' or CPP='aCC'
>     CXX='g++' or CXX='aCC'
>
> But keep getting the sort of errors below when running make (C stuff builds
> ok, but not the C++):
>
>         gcc -c  -DDEFAULT_CONFIG_FILE=\"/opt/www/htdig/conf/htdig.conf\"
> -I../htlib -I../htcommon  -I../db/dist -I../include -O2 Substring.cc
> In file included from ../htlib/lib.h:22,
>                  from ../htlib/Object.h:23,
>                  from Fuzzy.h:24,
>                  from Substring.h:14,
>                  from Substring.cc:22:
> /usr/include/string.h:29: warning: declaration of `int memcmp(const void *,
> const void *, long unsigned int)'
> /usr/include/string.h:29: warning: conflicts with built-in declaration `int
> memcmp(const void *, const void *, unsigned int)'
> /usr/include/string.h:85: warning: declaration of `void * memcpy(void *,
> const void *, long unsigned int)'
> /usr/include/string.h:85: warning: conflicts with built-in declaration `void
> * memcpy(void *, const void *, unsigned int)'
> /usr/include/string.h:93: warning: declaration of `size_t strlen(const char
> *)'
> /usr/include/string.h:93: warning: conflicts with built-in declaration
> `unsigned int strlen(const char *)'
> as: "/var/tmp/ccWQJsCl.s", line 53: warning 36: Use of %fr21 is incorrect
> for the current LEVEL of 1.0
> as: "/var/tmp/ccWQJsCl.s", line 75: warning 36: Use of %fr20 is incorrect
> for the current LEVEL of 1.0
> as: "/var/tmp/ccWQJsCl.s", line 76: warning 36: Use of %fr19 is incorrect
> for the current LEVEL of 1.0
>
> Eventually, the whole thing falls over when it comes to the link stage.

This isn't the link stage, but the assembler stage.  Evidently your C++
compiler is generating incorrect code for your assmebler, "as".  Do you
get the same error when you set CXX to g++ or aCC?  I find it a bit odd
that you're using gcc to compile C++ code, but it would be interesting to
see how this changes when using a different front-end compiler than gcc.

> I have tried using '--host=POSIX.2' as suggested in this post
> http://www.htdig.org/mail/1998/12/0169.html but that doesnt seem to do
> anything (configure complains that it is invalid!?)  I have also tried using
> g++ and specifying CXXFLAGS='-lstdc++' but still no luck.
>
> Can anyone please help me on this, I am completely stuck.
>
> The weirdest thing is that I somehow managed to get it working once before,
> (but accidently wrote over the exe's)

This raises the obvious question of what has changed since you last got
it working.  Did you change any of your compilers at all?  Did you use
a different set of configure options before, and forgot what they were?

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>