According to Dave Salisbury:
> does anyone know if I can read the database created using
> 3.1.5 with a 3.1.3 engine?
> ( just hoping to perhaps save some time before setting things up )
>
> I don't see anything in the release notes to indicate it can't be done.

The subject of your message and the question above seem to contradict
each other, so it's not clear in which direction you want to go.  If
you created your database with htdig 3.1.5, and want to search it with
htsearch 3.1.3, that's a bad idea.  The most glaring bug in releases
before 3.1.5 is in htsearch, so you really should upgrade it.

On the other hand, if you have an existing database built with version
3.1.3, and want to use it with the latest htsearch, that should work
without any difficulty.  However, you'll lose out on several benefits
in the latest htdig (better parsing of meta tags, parsing img alt text,
fixed parsing of URL parameters, etc.), which you'll only get if you
reindex with htdig 3.1.5.  Maybe none of these matter for your site,
though.  See the release notes and ChangeLog for details.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>