According to Ronald Edward Petty:
> I think its 3.1.5(whatever the latest stable is).  Anyways I emailed
> yesterday about this
> ares:/export/netapp/user/rpy/htdig-3.1.5/htfuzzy/> make
> c++ -o htfuzzy -L../htlib -L../htcommon -L../db/dist -L/usr/lib Endings.o
> EndingsDB.o Exact.o Fuzzy.o Metaphone.o Soundex.o SuffixEntry.o Synonym.o
> htfuzzy.o Substring.o Prefix.o ../htcommon/libcommon.a ../htlib/libht.a
> ../db/dist/libdb.a -lz -lnsl -lsocket
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.95.2/libgcc.a: could not
> read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [htfuzzy] Error 1
>
> and now I was wondering, everywhere I search on the net I get the
> impression that gcc is calling the wrong linkers.  I type as -version and
> its the gnu assembler in my path, and same for id.  So I am assuming that
> there is a version of the solaris as or id that is messing me up.  2
> questions
>
> 1) Is it possible there is another problem that can be generating this?  I
> ask this so I dont have to manually link all this, i have never done that
> before so maybe i should to learn... gee
> 2) If noone thinks it is another problem... how can "watch" the make file
> call the linker,etc  if I use top it doesn't show.  I do where ld and get
> 5 choices, and if i do /asdf/asdf/asdf/ld - version on 2 of them I get gnu
> and the other 3 i get invalid option, could these maybe be the solaris
> versions I cant tell , there is no option listed to tell.
>
> HELP(whinny voice)
> Thanks
> Ron Petty

Try compiling some different C++ code on your system.  I'm almost certain
that this is a problem with the setup of GNU C++ on your particular machine,
and not an ht://Dig problem.  If so, then this is not the best place to get
help, and you'd probably have better luck on a GNU C++ related mailing list
or newsgroup.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>