On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Matthew wrote:

>    I've already got "use HTML::Template" in my startup.pl so
> theoretically its being compiled at server start (anyway to verify
> this?). But its the instantiation in my handler() routine that's using
> the CPU time.
>
> How I can I get H:T to preform better?

Are you pre-caching your templates in startup.pl?  There's a recipe
for that in the HTML::Template docs.  After you do it, turn on
cache_debug and see if you're getting 100% cache hits (you should if
you did it right).

Also, are you loading many templates and doing includes manually?
Switching to tmpl_include (which is processed at compile time) can be
much faster.

Lastly, if you absolutely gotta have more speed, you could try
HTML::Template::JIT.  It's got some drawbacks - not all of
HTML::Template's syntax is supported and compilation times are long -
but it is reliably 4 to 8 times faster.

-sam