Fellows,

This issue (quoted below) is most unfortunate. I think we should seriously think about establishing some basic rules for links to be included in our list of "Applications". Right now there are none.

Following are a few thoughts:

What are the goals of this list?
The list is for people evaluating HttpClient: Seeing other projects using HttpClient creates confidence. This is marketing for us. The list is also a bit of advertisement for other projects: If they are listed they get a higher Google page rank. The list is useful to developers: They may find open source projects using HttpClient here and thus may learn from their code how to best use HttpClient in different scenarios.

This creates a problem with closed source projects: There is no way to verify that they actually use HttpClient at all. Developers can not learn from closed source code. Still the project gets a higher page rank. That seems unfair to me.

The size of the list also creates a problem: The human brain can not deal with it. Developers looking for interesting projects get lost. It is not obvious from the list if a project is "trivial" or "sophisticated".

Personally I prefer a much shorter list with high quality entries. I would like to propose some rules such as:

A project qualifies for the list if all of the following conditions are met:

* The project source code is available online (proves use, enables learning)
* The project source code where HttpClient is used has example quality (excludes bad examples) * HttpClient is an important part of the project (shortens list, excludes uninteresting uses)

The description of the entry should contain:

* what does the software do
* what does HttpClient do in the software
* how and where (packages/classes) is HttpClient being used

Please post your opinions.

Ortwin Glück

Sam Berlin wrote:
Err -- that wasn't actually spam.  I asked Larry to add that section,
based on the fact that Lucene had a "The following websites use
Lucene", and he felt uncomfortable adding a website in a section that
seemed most project-powered.

Sam