On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 17:36 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg, everyone,

Hi Roland.

I think you are over-reacting a little. First off, HttpComponents is a
VERY small and unimportant project compared to many of its open-source
peers. Such is the dynamics of a small-time open-source project: it is
dog slow and boring. We just have to live with that. No one cares unless
they are bitten by an annoying bug that directly affects their project.
And to make matters worse, our flagship product HttpClient 3.x is not
very buggy.

Secondly, I felt HttpAsync was bound to hit a bumpy spot at some point
of time because it lacked a clearly defined scope and a target user
base. I believe Apache Synapse expressed interest in an asynchronous
HTTP client of a sort. Probably you should get in touch with those guys,
see if they are still interested and get them articulate requirements
for such a client.

> > I have always been trying to say that controlled code duplication in
> > HttpAsync is a lesser evil because it can shield HttpAsync from API
> > instability in HttpCore. Go ahead and roll out an HttpAsync specific
> > extension of HttpClientConnection interface and its default
> > implementation.
>
> If I have to work on connection management code anyway, I prefer to
> do it for HttpConn. Let HttpAsync/CS rest in peace until the time is
> ripe for resurrection.

I want to see HttpCore 4.0 alpha3 and HttpClient 4.0 alpha1 released
first, at which point I want to take a serious look at HttpAsync. Let us
re-focus for a little while. That's all. There is no need for burials
and resurrections.

Oleg