Hi, JT,

#1.  Not possible.  The client cert will be presented for all paths.  This is
because the socket is established before "GET /path" or "POST /path" is sent to
the server.  But I'm just being pedantic here.

[I think #1 can "appear" possible when servers use
"sslServer.setWantClientAuth( true )" instead of "sslServer.setNeedClientAuth(
true )."  But the client cert will still be presented for the very first URL
requested.]

#5.  Can you try the "ping" utility with commons-ssl?  After downloading
"commons-ssl.jar", please type:

java -jar commons-ssl.jar

Hopefully the instructions that print out from that will be self-explanatory.
Don't forget to include the "-t" for "target".  I always forget!  And I wrote
it!

If you get any bind exceptions, try specifying a local port (such as 54321).
There's one RHEL3 machine at my office that always complains about that for
some reason, not sure why.

Can you show us the output the "Ping" utility gets back from your server?  I'm
especially interested in the HTTP headers you get back, or the SSL exceptions.

yours,

Julius

http://juliusdavies.ca/commons-ssl/

ps.  please CC both httpclient-user and myself in any replies.  I don't seem to
get httpclient emails any more at work.  I think we're having spam filtering
issues...  probably going to start subscribing from my gmail account instead...
 but I'm lazy...

All:

1.  The server is authenticating only on a certain
path.
2.  I am using commons-ssl with httpclient
3.  I used the EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory
4.  I have set my KeyMaterial
5.  When I hit the required authenticated
path/location, it seems that the client is not
presenting the cert.
6.  I tested out using openssl and it works.  I do see
the client certificate request from the server and the
client presents the correct cert.

I am confused.

Any help is much appreciated,
JT