On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 14:29 +0200, Tumidajewicz, Przemyslaw wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> First post here, hope I'm doing it right ;)
>
> I've been having problems with sending multipart posts containing files
> named using UTF-8 characters - all non-ASCII characters are turned into
> question marks. I've tried to specify the charset when creating the
> FilePart like this
>
> FilePart fp = new FilePart(name, file, null, "UTF-8");
>
> as well as setting the charset later on like this
>
> fp.setCharSet("UTF-8");
>
> with no result. So I took a deeper look at the HttpClient code (thank
> god for open source!) and found that the loss of special characters
> happens in the FilePart.sendDispositionHeader method, at line
>
> out.write(EncodingUtil.getAsciiBytes(filename));
>
> where the filename is forced to fit into the US-ASCII charset.

Przemyslaw,

This behavior is in line with the requirements of the MIME specification
as outlined in RFC 1521 and RFC 1522. The use of non-ASCII characters in
MIME headers is not permitted. One is supposed to escape non-ASCII
characters using BASE64 or Quoted-Printable encoding.

See this feature request for details

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-293

Oleg