Almost forgot to mention, in terms of the cookiestore I basically performed
these actions:

// SERIALISE
            final List<Cookie> cookies = getCookies(context);

            logger.debug("{} Storing {} response cookies to cache id {}.",
new Object[]{id, cookies.size(), clientSessionId});

            final List<Cookie> serialisableCookies = new
ArrayList<Cookie>(cookies.size());

            for (Cookie cookie : cookies) {
                logger.debug("{} Storing cookie '{}' to cache.", id,
cookie.getName());

                serialisableCookies.add(new SerializableCookie(cookie));
            }

            // this is sent to memcached
            cachedTargetSession.setTargetCookies(serialisableCookies);

 private  List<Cookie> getCookies(final HttpContext context) {
        final CookieStore cookieStore = getCookieStore(context);

        final List<Cookie> cookies = cookieStore.getCookies();

        return cookies;
    }

// DESERIALISE

            final CookieStore targetCookieStore = new BasicCookieStore();

            List<Cookie> cookies = cachedTargetSession.getTargetCookies();

            // Add all the extracted cookies to the cookie store.
            for (Cookie cookie : cookies) {
                targetCookieStore.addCookie(cookie);
            }

Cheers,