On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 11:53 -0500, Godbey, David J. (HQ-LM020)[DIGITAL
MANAGEMENT INC.] wrote:
> Oleg,
> Wow, you have a proxy client? I should give that a look.
>
> Anirban:
> My problem was this:
> 1. My JAXWS client for the EWS service does not manage authentication because
> JAXWS itself does not manage authentication.
> 2. To authenticate, I used java.net.Authenticator. However, the Authenticator
> does not support NTLMv2.
>
> My solution was this:
> 1. Created a local endpoint (servlet) for the JAXWS client instead of the EWS
> service (EWS endpoint is SSL with NTLMv2).
> 2. The servlet (using HttpClient 4.2) received the raw SOAP request and the
> list of headers.
> 3. Using httpclient (4.2) pack up a post with the SOAP request, bring over
> the relevant headers, and send the post to the EWS endpoint.
> 4. The servlet succeeds and receives the SOAP response that it then returns
> to the JAXWS client.
>
> With that, I am back in business.
>
> Oleg,
> Can I remove my local endpoint servlet, return the JAXWS client to point
> directly to the EWS SSL NTLMv2 service, and set java -D directives to specify
> an authenticating proxy that I will build from HttpClient ProxyClient? Can
> this work?
> Dave

Dave,

ProxyClient is probably not a very good name. SSL tunnel client should
be descriptive. The purpose of this client is to create a tunnel through
an HTTP proxy for non-HTTP protocols such as SSH or SMTP. Naturally, it
could also be used for tunneling HTTP messages though an SSL tunnel but
I see very little sense in doing so, as that would give you no advantage
over HttpClient.

What you have is a very reasonable solution based on a reverse proxy
pattern. You should probably stick to it.