On Wed, 2012-12-12 at 09:28 -0700, Daz DeBoer wrote:
> Hi
> First of all thanks for the great library. As a core Gradle developer,
> I really appreciate the power and flexibility that comes with
> HttpClient. (Gradle made the switch from java.net.URL based
> downloading to using HttpClient over a year ago.)
>
> While it seems to work most of the time, occasionally we have users
> who are not able to authenticate to a proxy using NTLM. (We are using
> JCIFS-based NTLMEngine). At first I thought this was just a protocol
> problem, but working with a user recently I'm not so sure.
>
> This user reports that they are able to authenticate to their proxy
> over NTLM with test code using the DefaultHttpClient, but are not able
> to using the SystemDefaultHttpClient after setting what look like the
> correct properties. They are also unable to use Gradle to authenticate
> to the proxy. Since Gradle is using the SystemDefaultHttpClient under
> the covers, I'm interested in how this could make a difference, and
> whether this could be the cause of this user's problems with Gradle.
>
> The relevant code and output is here:
>
> Using org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultHttpClient (working)
> * Code : https://gist.github.com/77f7f4278612d38cb554
> * Logs : https://gist.github.com/42057219f8903f3b92d2
>
> Using org.apache.http.impl.client.SystemDefaultHttpClient
> * Code : https://gist.github.com/99f166b73f60176bab39
> * Logs : https://gist.github.com/7f2c4af8b6532f8e9d0c
>
> The input proxy credentials are same for both the tests.
>
> I've looked at the code/output but I'm not sure what could be causing
> the differences. My suspicion is ProxySelectorRoutePlanner, but I
> don't know how that could affect authentication. Any hints?
>
> Thanks

Hi Daz

ProxySelectorRoutePlanner appears to be the most likely culprit but I
cannot spot anything obviously wrong from the logs. My recommendation
would be to stop using SystemDefaultHttpClient (it will be deprecated in
4.3 anyway) and apply system settings selectively once by one in order
to narrow down possible causes.

I'll try to have a closer look at the logs in the coming days.