On Mon, 2013-04-15 at 15:28 -0400, Mark Claassen wrote:
> Hopefully someone will respond to this beside me...I am curious to read the
> replies.
>
> What OS are you using?
>
> I did something similar to this, although my case was different enough that
> this is probably not going to be too helpful.
>
> What I had to do is use HttpClient to connect to a webserver using a smart
> card containing the client's certificate.  However, the
> client was accessing my app via Webstart.  The clients were on Windows.
> Webstart has all the stuff necessary to deal with the
> smartcard.  (Probably through Windows native APIs.)  All I really needed to
> do was to force HttpClient to use the HttpsURLConnection
> default SSL socket factory.  In the older version of HttpClient, this was a
> bit tricky, but with the newer versions of HttpClient,
> using the default socket factory is easy.
>
> Mark

There is no black magic involved in making HttpClient use SSL material
stored on an external medium such as a smart card. All it takes an
SSLContext or SSLSocketFactorty instance created based on the content of
the smart card. How exactly this can be done depends I cannot tell but
the card reader vendor should.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Oleg