On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 13:28 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 25 April 2013 12:26, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> > could

> > 4.2.3).

> > clearer.

> > clearly
> > > >

> > > But you also wrote:
> > >
> > > "It also affects deprecated code in 4.3 branch."
> > >
> > > I cannot reconcile those two statements.
> > >

> > My English certainly has its limits but I fail to see a contradiction in
> > those statements.
>

> [It's probably more a question of context/perspective than English, because
> yours is better than quite a few native speakers!
> I don't always immediately understand US English, because they ascribe
> different meanings to some English words, e.g. pavement, table(verb)]
>
> I took the first sentence to mean that the deprecated classes in 4.3 have
> been fixed (i.e. are not affected)
> I took the second to mean that the deprecated code in 4.3 branch (i.e.
> trunk) is still affected.
>
> That is the contradiction I could not understand, see further below.
>
> The bug affects all releases from the 4.3 branch
> > (which is currently trunk). The bug has been fixed in SVN trunk by
> > back-porting the fix from the 4.2 branch.
> >

> So I take it that the bug affects all existing 4.3 releases, but has since
> been fixed in trunk and therefore the bug will be fixed in the next 4.3
> release?
> Is that correct?

Yes and no. New connection management code in 4.3 has been pretty much
completely rewritten and has diverged significantly from the original
code affected by the bug. It never exhibited the said defect to start
with. Users of 4.3 who migrated off the deprecated API have nothing to
worry about.

> If so, the Jira can be update at some point to add a 4.3 release to the Fix.

If all it takes is changing some attributes on the JIRA ticket by all of
means go ahead and do what you deem appropriate.

Oleg